Epoxy flooring can prove to be a cost-effective and worthwhile investment for businesses of all types. When it comes to the practical side of your planning, one question will need to be addressed to provide years of service — How thick should your floor be?
PPI Flooring of Orlando specializes in epoxy flooring solutions for businesses nationwide. For years, our contractors have worked to perfect our services, and we’re here to deliver an exceptional result for each and every project we take on.
When it comes to the thickness of your epoxy flooring, many factors will play into deciding which thickness is best. Learn more in this post, and be sure to contact us if you’re interested in learning about our epoxy flooring services!
Thick or Thin — Which is Better?
One question we often hear at PPI Flooring is “How thick should my epoxy flooring be?” We have to tell clients that “it depends.” If you are planning on installing epoxy over a new slab or any concrete surface in good condition, thinner applications will tend to do just fine. In more intensive applications, thicker coatings are recommended for the best results.
Choose Your Thickness
Epoxy flooring can be scaled to meet a variety of needs. In most floor systems, epoxy can be installed between .2 and 250 mils thick (the latter being a full quarter-inch!). In order to achieve the best results, builders will need to look into their site-specific needs and address each one accordingly.
Before you decide on a thickness for your epoxy flooring, be sure to ask three questions:
- What condition is your concrete in? Thin applications can help to cover minor surface imperfections. However, slabs with cracks, chips, and stains will be harder to seal and finish.
- What kind of traffic do you expect? Thin epoxy coatings can provide top-notch protection for areas with pedestrian traffic, while warehouses with forklifts and other heavy equipment will require additional support.
- What kind of hazards will be present? From facility showers to chemical storage areas, businesses can invest in thicker epoxy floors to protect the substrate from environmental hazards.
Epoxy Floor Coatings
In many applications, a simple layer or two will be enough to provide the performance expected from epoxy flooring. You can invest in a high-gloss epoxy floor finish to brighten your workspace and reduce your need for artificial lighting, minimize your maintenance demands, and more.
PPI Flooring of Orlando specializes in personalized epoxy floor coatings, and can work with you to create an ideal fit for your needs.
- Minimal downtime — Less material will require less effort and reduce cure times, allowing you to use your new floor faster.
- Simple designs — If you need a basic layer of protection, an epoxy floor coating delivers ideal results. This basic, seamless finish is perfect for nearly any application.
- Resistant results — Stains, spills, and minor scuffs can be kept away from your concrete.
- Affordable outcomes — Reduced downtime, less materials, and less labor equate to lower costs, balancing the cost and reward of your new investment.
Thicker Epoxy Flooring
Floor systems requiring epoxy flooring thicker than 2mm will be considered a floor as opposed to a coating. Thicker epoxy floors take longer to install and require additional materials and labor, but they are ideal for a range of building applications.
Thick epoxy floors are beneficial for businesses for many reasons, including:
- Durability — Your thicker floor will be better able to take on scratches and gouges without impacting the concrete beneath.
- Resistant to wear — Surfaces that withstand heavy foot traffic on a regular basis can benefit from thick epoxy coatings, as these finishes help to keep normal wear and tear at bay.
- Strength — Thicker epoxy floors can support heavier equipment, providing ideal support in industrial applications.
- Beauty — You can customize your epoxy flooring to match a variety of visual needs, enhancing the cleanliness and shine of any room.
Which Thickness is Right for You?
If you have a project in need of professional epoxy flooring services in Orlando or across Central Florida, PPI Flooring is here and ready to help! After 20 years and more than 10 million square feet of epoxy flooring installed, we’re confident that we can achieve the right result for your industry-specific needs. Contact us today to learn more, and be sure to request your free quote to see how affordable epoxy flooring can be!